Release date: 29 November 2013
Wise Up: Thought, Remixes & Reworks is a small compilation of beat interludes and remixes of Elvis Costello & The Roots’ 2013 release Wise Up Ghost. Most tracks feature the downtempo hip-hop production of Karriem Riggins, a jazz drummer who’s collaborated with Madlib, Erykah Badu, and J Dilla. Additionally, the Menahan Street Band rework “Tripwire,” and afrobeat group Antibalas add horns and percussion to “Walk Us Uptown” for a big brass flair. The interludes are instrumental beats lifted from the respective songs and are fantastic as bed music. Wise Up: Thought expounds upon the early-90s jazzy hip-hop stylings played by The Roots on releases such as Do You Want More?!!!??!. Costello’s trademark sneer is still a forefront of the music, and The Roots’ grooves are groovier than ever in this cool addendum to Wise Up Ghost’s legacy.
Good for morning shows and hip-hop shows. Released through Blue Note.
The interludes are great for bed music. Watch the no-play: #1.
1. Cinco Minutos con Vos (Karriem Riggins Remix feat. Black Thought – (4:06)
2. Sugar Won’t Work (Karriem Riggins Beat Interlude) – (0:49)
3. Come the Meantimes (Karriem Riggins Remix) – (3:40)
4. The Puppet Has Cut His Strings (Karriem Riggins Beat Interlude) – (0:50)
5. Tripwire (Menhan Street Band Rework) – (3:31)
6. Viceroy’s Row (Karriem Riggins Beat Interlude) – (1:22)
7. Walk Us Uptown (Antibalas Rework, Chico Mann Edit) – (5:56)
RIYL: Antibalas, Black Thought, Like Water for Chocolate by Common, Do You Want More?!!!??! by The Roots, Nujabes