Release date: 29 October 2013
This is Bad Religion’s holiday album Christmas Songs. Yep, Christmas Songs. I know, right? A band that prides itself on anti-religious leanings makes a Christmas album. Like, what? My expectations were completely subverted. I thought I’d hear ironic, tongue-in-cheek anthems to attack holiday commercialism, but here are really faithful versions of Christmas classics in a brash pop punk flavor that isn’t ironic in the slightest. Greg Graffin harmonizes! There are guitar solos! I’m so confused by this, but I like it. 20% of the proceeds from the album go to Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (aka SNAP), so that’s something. Definitely get this into your holiday rotation.
Morning show and Yuletide appropriate. Even play it on punk shows.
All clean! Play any! Happy holidays from Bad Religion (?!?!?)!
1. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing! – (1:59)
2. O Come, All Ye Faithful – (2:04)
3. O Come, O Come Emmanuel – (2:07)
4. White Christmas – (1:49)
5. Little Drummer Boy – (2:04)
6. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – (1:39)
7. What Child Is This? – (1:53)
8. Angels We Have Heard on High – (2:07)
9. American Jesus [Andy Wallace Mix] – (3:19)
RIYL: The Offspring, Agent Orange, Fugazi